FATHERHOOD & MENTORING
Fatherhood Initiative and Youth Mentoring Committee
#Mentoring Every Day #Every Where
Donald Williams II
2nd District Chairman
Fatherhood Initiative and Youth Mentoring Committee
The Mighty 2nd District Fatherhood Initiative and Youth Mentoring Committee welcomes you to our website. I hope you feel the excitement about the extremely important work we are embarking on that support families and communities across the five states (NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD). What a “collective impact” we can have!
The purpose of this site is twofold: 1) provide mission statement, 2) strategic direction and 3) to use this site as an information repository to highlight the incredible mentoring programs for young males.
Our mission is clear, intentional, and strategic driven: to have approximately 80 Chapters actively engaged their community by mentoring young males and Dads. Our Chapters must be intentional about developing programs aimed at helping men to “help their children grow into healthy young adults” – resulting in stronger families across the 2nd District.
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., has engaged communities for a very long time with meaningful parenting and mentoring programs across the Nation. With transitioning of the historical partnership with the Presidency of Barack Obama to the new administration, the Fraternity work under the Fatherhood and Mentoring Program continue to be vital. We must persist with increasing the awareness on the importance of responsible fatherhood and expanding our partnerships with as many like-minded community organizations, public agencies, schools, and advocates of responsible parenting. We must work to solve the problem of paternal absenteeism, deconstruct negative stereotypes, and celebrate those who are engaged in their children’s lives, the children in their families, and the children of their communities. Children are the future! Our future is only as bright as what we as parents invest in them – all of them, not just our own, so that they can be a light to this world.
PRIORITIES FOR 2ND DISTRICT:
- RAISE AWARENESS: by being intentional about telling the 2nd District incredible success stories and the mentoring work Chapters are doing in communities across the five states (NY, NJ, PA, DE, and MD). We must always TELL OUR STORY by submitting articles and photos for your mentoring programs monthly!
- PARTNERSHIPS: Chapters are to start a youth mentor program. If you do not have a mentoring program you are encouraged to seek partnerships with reputable like-minded organizations in your community such as the local Big Brothers and Big Sisters, Social Services, that’s intentional about mentoring young people and Fathers.
- QUES ON THE MOVE: Objective is to expand initiative via SKYPE to include more Chapters across the five states to share their incredible work. We want to use the internet social media outlets to expand the positive message under the Fatherhood and Mentoring work for strengthening families across the 2nd District. Approximately 400,000 listeners use internet social media outlets. I believe this is the “new frontier” for our Fraternity to engage the community in conversations about the important role Fathers play their children’s lives and Chapters mentoring program.
- WE VOTE – WE LEAD: Mid-Term Election is crucial! The Call to Action is a nationwide initiative that encourages Fathers to teach young males about their civic responsibility to participate in the Voting process.
- Goal is to make an impact by increasing Fathers/Men participation in November Mid-term elections by taking your sons, nephews, grandsons, and mentees to the Voting Polls.
- Asking Chapters to connect with men in their community to complete “Pledge Cards” during voter registration drives or other fraternity sponsored civic activities and report numbers on website.
- Asking Chapters to connect with Fathers to take phots of their visits to the poll and forward them to the Fraternity’s website.
- CELEBRATE MEN: who are engaged in their children’s lives and those fatherless children in your community. Let's be the Voice for public and parenting advocacy to eliminate the stereotypes and existence uninvolved fathers.
- FUTURE DADS: Chapters to support our undergraduates with implementing the Future Dad Program on various campus!
- SUB-COMMITTEE FOR LEGISLATIVE ADVOCACY: The purpose of the sub-committee is to stay connected, track and monitor Legislative House Bills that impact young males, Adult Fathers, issues that strengthen families. To make recommendation in writing to FMP Chairman to be vetted to District Executive Counselors and District Representative for final decisions.
- Public Awareness
- Celebrate and Uplift Image of Fathers
- Public Advocacy (Funding & Favorable Legislation)
QUALIFIABLE DATA COLLECTION:
Request Chapters to submit a monthly report reflecting the significant planned activity you are doing in your community under the Fatherhood Initiative and Youth Mentoring Program.
MONTHLY -- “Telling the 2nd District Story Report”
- Is your Chapter engaged in young male Mentoring Programs:
- Is your Chapter engaged in Adult Fathers Mentoring Programs:
- Provide a brief Program Descriptions on focus area, significant activities and how often do you conduct meetings?
- How may are impacted monthly:
- Total Dads Being Mentored:
- Total High School Students:
- Total Middle School Students:
- Total Elementary School Students:
- Total Community Collaborative Partners:
- Total Brothers Participating: